The Executive Committee are the most important officers in the MCR Committee. They are directly responsible for the administration of the MCR, and usually work closely with College to promote the interests of the graduate community. If you have any questions about the current state of the MCR, its running, or would like to know more about getting involved with the MCR, they are the people to contact.
The buck stops here: the President is ultimately responsible for the running of the MCR. They act to represent the interests of MCR members in College, the University and beyond. The President coordinates the rest of the Committee in their activities, and so is generally aware of all the MCR’s current activities.
- They shall call and convene the Committee at least once per University Term.
- They shall chair the Committee Meetings, Termly General Meetings (TGMs) and Extraordinary General Meetings (EGMs).
- They shall attend CUSU Council meetings or appoint a representative from among the Committee to attend in her/his place.
- They shall organise the production of a term card for publication at the beginning of each term.
- They She/he shall have the responsibility to recall MCR representatives from College committees, subject to a majority vote by the Committee, if in the President’s opinion the representative in question is not performing their duties satisfactorily.
- They shall appoint, subject to a majority vote by the Committee, an Ale and Quail Officer.
- They shall appoint Members to College committees, subject to a majority Committee vote.
- They shall, upon election to the position of President, review all College committee positions currently filled by Members.
They shall also have those duties set forth in Sections 102, 303, 309 and 601.
The General Secretary is the best point of contact if you have any questions regarding the MCR. As an MCR member, you can expect to receive regular updates from them about MCR activities. Please let them know if you should like to raise something at an MCR open meeting, or if you have an announcement for the MCR. If you should like to be added to or removed from the MCR discussion list, please email them. They also manage the MCR games list, which you may subscribe to yourself.
Additionally, if you would like a CUSU card (a card proving that you are a student at Churchill College), please put a passport-sized photograph of yourself with your birth date and name written on it in my pigeonhole.
- They shall give reasonable notice to the membership of TGMs and EGMs.
- They shall give reasonable notice of Committee Meetings to the Committee.
- They shall be responsible for taking accurate minutes of the TGMs, EGMs and Committee Meetings and for keeping such minutes.
- They shall be responsible for distributing copies of the minutes of TGMs and EGMs to all the Full Members and the relevant College bodies.
- They shall be responsible for liaising with the graduate students’ committees from other colleges, and shall send a copy of the current MCR Committee to the graduate students secretary at all Cambridge Colleges and also CUSU and the Graduate Union.
They shall also have those duties set forth in Sections 102 and 601.
As the name suggests, the Treasurer looks after the MCR’s money. We are given some money by College each year to spend on equipment, academic and welfare. We also make some money from our Bar, and the ever-popular Guest Nights to spend on other events throughout the year. If you would to request some money for equipment or an event, please get in touch, or use the online form.
The Treasurer also represents the MCR on the college Finance Committee (the body that manages college’s financial situation), and on the Combined Common Rooms Finance Committee (CCRFC) which assigns money to college societies, including the MCR.
- They shall report the state of the accounts to TGMs or EGMs at the request of the President or Chair.
- They shall be an ex-officio member of the Combined Common Rooms Finance Committee.
- They shall submit the accounts to the Senior Treasurer of the MCR for an annual audit and upon completion, in conjunction with the Senior Treasurer, certify that to the best of their knowledge the accounts are correct.
- They shall declare, within 2 weeks of having received them from the previous Treasurer, whether they are satisfied with the MCR accounts.
- They shall report on the financial status of the MCR at a TGM or EGM, at the request of any Full Member.