- Poker / Movie Night (Thursday Jan 16)
- MECH Black Light Bop (Friday Jan 17)
- Pizza Night (Saturday Jan 18)
We’ll send out more information later this week. Also, keep an eye on your pigeonholes for the Lent Term Card, which contains our full events calendar for this term – including Burns’ Night, MCR Formals and our annual Super Bowl party.
Have a stupendous week!
- 1 Cam FM ‘Re-freshers’ Party @ Lola Lo (Jan 13)
- 2 How to Have an Impact in International Development as a Student (Jan 16)
- 3 CUMTS 24 Hour Musical (Jan 17)
- 4 CUMS Great Conductors Series (Jan 18)
- 5 Christ’s College May Ball Auditions (Deadline Jan 23)
- 6 Education Partnerships Africa (Deadline Jan 23)
- 7 CUTEC – Innovating in a Recession (Feb 6)
- 8 Jonathan Fenby – Roskill Memorial Lecture (Feb 20)
- 9 Canadian Centennial Scholarship (Deadline Mar 7)
- 10 Spotify Premium Student Discount
- 11 CBL International – Summer Roles
- 12 OxFizz – Volunteers Needed
Cam FM ‘Re-freshers’ Party @ Lola Lo (Jan 13)
Cam FM and Fat Poppa Daddys are joining forces to keep the party going with a massive blow out Grad Start-of-Term ‘Re-Freshers’ party at Lola Lo on Monday 13th January, 10pm-3am. Tickets will be on sale soon at http://www.ice-nights.com/tick
Full details are on the Facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/event
Expect the biggest grad party in town!
Join the Cam FM grad guestlist at http://new.camfm.co.uk/news/wh
If you would like to book for group entry or book a table, please get in touch with Phil Ashworth directly to ensure you get grad discounts (email:firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Have an Impact in International Development as a Student (Jan 16)
7.30pm, Thursday 16th January
The Green Room, Gonville and Caius College
So you want to volunteer overseas? Great!
But, wait, how do you choose a project out of the multitudes out there clamouring for your attention? How do you know which one will let you create the most impact in your short stint overseas?
If you’re interested in volunteering overseas but aren’t sure how to select a project that will have a positive impact, come down to our training session run by the Cambridge Hub to find out how best to critically assess the project you’re interested in to ensure your time is well spent.
Hear from organisations running overseas volunteering projects to find out how you can get involved and make an impact!
These organisations will give you a brief outline of their volunteering projects:
– Education Partnerships Africa
– Cambridge Development Initiative
– Cambridge EcoHouse Initiative
– Engineers Without Borders Cambridge
– The Mountain Trust
Join the event here! https://www.facebook.com/event
Please sign up here if you will be attending this event:
CUMTS 24 Hour Musical (Jan 17)
The finest of Cambridge’s musical theatre talent will be joining forces to create an original musical… in just 24 hours!
See the link for more information:
CUMS Great Conductors Series (Jan 18)
Cambridge alumnus, principal conductor and founder of the Aurora Orchestra, Nicholas Collon returns to King’s College Chapel to conduct the University of Cambridge’s best young instrumentalists and singers (joined by internationally-renowned soloists) in a performance of Tippett’s secular oratorio A Child of Our Time. This concert, part of the Cambridge University Musical Society’s Great Conductors Series, is set to be the highlight of the 2013-14 Season; book early to avoid disappointment!
Saturday 18 January 2014, 8pm King’s College Chapel
- Vaughan Williams The Cloud Capp’d Towers
- Vaughan Williams Symphony No.6
- Tippett A Child of Our Time
- Cambridge University Chamber Orchestra
- Members of CUMS Symphony Orchestra
- The Choirs of Clare, Gonville & Caius, Jesus and Selwyn Colleges
- Nicholas Collon conductor
- Sophie Bevan soprano
- Catherine Hopper mezzo-soprano
- Robert Murray tenor
- Henry Waddington bass
- Graham Ross chorus master
Tickets £35, £30, £20 Students: £4 reduction of above prices and £5 on the door, subject to availability
Join the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/
Follow us on Twitter: @CamUniMusSoc
Christ’s College May Ball Auditions (Deadline Jan 23)
Christ’s May Ball is looking to recruit amazing acts, to ensure a good night for all on 17th June 2014.
Musicians to comedians, face painters to jugglers, we are open to applications from any type of performers. You do not have to be attending the University of Cambridge to audition.
Venue: Theatre, Yusuf Hamied Centre, Christ’s College Cambridge
Date: 25th & 26th January, 1st & 2nd February
Follow the link to fill in the audition form:
* DEADLINE TO COMPLETE FORM- 23rd January*
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.
Education Partnerships Africa (Deadline Jan 23)
– Be part of a growing NGO striving to improve the quality of education in rural East Africa
– Live and work in partnership with the local community and school of a rural village
– Gain experience, skills and awareness of grass roots international development
Make sure you get your application in soon so you don’t miss this fantastic opportunity to take on an exciting new challenge this summer!
CUTEC – Innovating in a Recession (Feb 6)
Resuscitating a Drowned Economy with Sustainable Startups
When: Feb 6th, 18.00-21.00
Where:The Lucia Windsor Room at Newnham College
Darrin Disley, Michael Baum, Alan Hughes (TBD)
- Can technology entrepreneurship revive economic slumps?
- Why should tech entrepreneurs stay in the UK?
- Is venture capital the way forward for tech innovation?
Join the discussion! – Share your thoughts!
Jonathan Fenby – Roskill Memorial Lecture (Feb 20)
Mr Jonathan Fenby CBE, China author and expert, will speak on the topic: ‘China’s Unfinished Revolution – Why the People’s Republic will not rule the world’ on Thursday, 20 February at 5.30 pm in the Wolfson Lecture Theatre, Churchill College.
All are very welcome to attend the lecture, but places are limited. Please register via the link: https://roskilllecture14.
If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com or telephone 01223 336166.
Canadian Centennial Scholarship (Deadline Mar 7)
Click on the link for more information:
Spotify Premium Student Discount
Did you know that Spotify Premium (which gives you access to unlimited ad-free music, even on your smartphone) is available to all students for only £4.99 per month? Sign up here:
CBL International – Summer Roles
CBL International offers summer programmes in Oxford and Cambridge covering a myriad of subjects, including Business, Law, Economics & Management, International Relations and Politics, as well as Natural Science to name but a few, to a vast diversity of the most prestigious academic institutes from around the world.
They are looking for candidates to fill the following positions over the summer period (click the links for more information):
OxFizz – Volunteers Needed
OxFizz is a social enterprise raising money for charity by providing educational services. We are currently recruiting tutors for our two-week Summer Schools
*What? Delivering tutorials on a Summer School in Oxford
*Who? Any enthusiastic postgraduate student or postdoc
*How big a commitment? Preparing an exciting and challenging
*Why? Gain valuable teaching experience and raise money for any charity of your choice!