As the summer slips away, your weekly Gazette is back! (Hopefully this is not too disappointing :p – and to those who are new to the MCR, the Gazette is a weekly newsletter that reminds you of the events in Cambridge and informs you of different types of opportunities).
To the freshers, welcome to Churchill! Hope you’ve been enjoying the fresher’s events. For any MCR events, please remember to subscribe to the MCR Calendar, like the Facebook page, and keep checking your emails.
As usual, if you have questions or would like to add anything to the Gazette, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 College/MCR Events
- 1.1 [05/Oct/2015] Visit to the Churchill Archive Centre, 5 pm, Meet @ P’Lodge
- 1.2 [06-07/Oct/2015] Societies Fresher’s Fair, 10 am – 5 pm, Parker’s Piece
- 1.3 [06/Oct/2015] Gym Introductory Talk, 7 pm – 8 pm, Wolfson Hall
- 1.4 [06/Oct/2015] International Food Potluck, 7:20 pm – 9 pm, Seminar Rooms 3&4
- 1.5 [06/Oct/2015] LGBT+ Night, 8:30 pm – late, Buttery
- 1.6 [07/Oct/2015] Churchill Societies Squash, 7 pm – 8:30 pm, Buttery
- 1.7 [08/Oct/2015] Curry & Quiz, 8 pm – 10 pm, Meet @ P’Lodge
- 1.8 [09/Oct/2015] MCR Formal Hall
- 1.9 [10/Oct/2015] Try Rowing Day, 10 am – 6 pm, Churchill College Boat House
- 1.10 [10/Oct/2015] Churchill MCR Football – First Game of the Season, 11 am – 12:45 pm, Churchill College Sports Ground
- 1.11 [10/Oct/2015] Matriculation Photo and Welcome Address, 2:50 pm – 4:30 pm, P’Lodge and the Jock Colville Hall
- 1.12 [10/Oct/2015] Pub Crawl, 7 pm – 11 pm, Meet @ P’Lodge
- 1.13 [11/Oct/2015] Chartwell Trip, 9:15 am – 6:30 pm, Meet @ P’Lodge
- 2 University/Society Events
- 2.1 [06/Oct/2015] UN Women HeForShe Gender Equality Event
- 2.2 [10/Oct/2015] St. Edmund’s “Back to the 90s” Bop
- 2.3 [10&17/Oct/2015] Archery Taster Sessions
- 2.4 [15/Oct/2015] Dark Waters: Security in the Black Sea Region (Panel Discussion)
- 2.5 [17/Oct/2015] Newnham MCR Oxford Blenheim Palace Trip
- 2.6 [Ongoing] UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE STUDENT NETWORK
- 3 Conferences
- 4 Work/Volunteer Opportunities
- 5 Others
[05/Oct/2015] Visit to the Churchill Archive Centre, 5 pm, Meet @ P’Lodge
[06-07/Oct/2015] Societies Fresher’s Fair, 10 am – 5 pm, Parker’s Piece
[06/Oct/2015] Gym Introductory Talk, 7 pm – 8 pm, Wolfson Hall
[06/Oct/2015] International Food Potluck, 7:20 pm – 9 pm, Seminar Rooms 3&4
[06/Oct/2015] LGBT+ Night, 8:30 pm – late, Buttery
[07/Oct/2015] Churchill Societies Squash, 7 pm – 8:30 pm, Buttery
[08/Oct/2015] Curry & Quiz, 8 pm – 10 pm, Meet @ P’Lodge
[09/Oct/2015] MCR Formal Hall
[10/Oct/2015] Try Rowing Day, 10 am – 6 pm, Churchill College Boat House
[10/Oct/2015] Churchill MCR Football – First Game of the Season, 11 am – 12:45 pm, Churchill College Sports Ground
[10/Oct/2015] Matriculation Photo and Welcome Address, 2:50 pm – 4:30 pm, P’Lodge and the Jock Colville Hall
[10/Oct/2015] Pub Crawl, 7 pm – 11 pm, Meet @ P’Lodge
[11/Oct/2015] Chartwell Trip, 9:15 am – 6:30 pm, Meet @ P’Lodge
[06/Oct/2015] UN Women HeForShe Gender Equality Event
UN Women is bringing the first-ever HeForShe #GetFree University Tour to the University of Cambridge on October 6th. The HeForShe #GetFree Tour is about creating a world where we can all feel free to be ourselves; to be emotional, to be ambitious, to be vulnerable, to be real. The Tour brings a global conversation on gender to young people around the world, enabling them to express themselves and explore their own understanding of gender, empowering them to lead us towards equality.
This event will kick off at 12:30 on October 6th on Parker’s Piece with an introduction by Sir Leszek Krzysztof Borysiewicz, Vice-Chancellor of the University, and Elizabeth Nyamayaro, Senior Advisor to Under-Secretary General, UN Women & Head and Founder of the HeForShe Initiative. Other speakers include Jack Bertram, Principal, McKinsey & Company (HeForShe Corporate IMPACT 10x10x10 Champion); celebrity spokesperson Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Actor; and Charlotte Chorley, CUSU Women’s Officer. There will be a panel discussion, moderated by Dame Barbara Stocking, with a broad focus on women in leadership, with particular attention given to gender diversity in academia and women’s participation in STEM fields.
During the panel discussion, we intend to explore both the challenges facing women in leadership and strategies for achieving greater parity both in the professional world and within particular academic disciplines, university programs, and student initiatives. The discussion will highlight strides already being made to invest in young women of distinction as well as priorities to consider moving forward. How do we make universities and workspaces safe and inclusive environments where each individual can flourish? How can we all actively participate in the drive towards gender equality?
The #GetFree bus will be on Parker’s Piece throughout the day with UN Women associated to discuss their initiatives and the HeForShe Campaign in general.
[10/Oct/2015] St. Edmund’s “Back to the 90s” Bop
Come join us for the world-wide famous Eddie’s welcoming bop!(“Bop”: a live DJ, sparkling atmosphere, sensational drinks and beautiful people, all dancing the night away)
This year we’ll bring you back to the 90’s , that is: a lot of awesome music, really embarrassing outfits and Luke Perry!
Don’t forget to dress up in 90’s style: a super price for the coolest dress!!!
[10&17/Oct/2015] Archery Taster Sessions
The university’s archery club, CUB, will be holding 4 taster sessions on the 10th and 17th of October, 10am-11:30 and 11:30-1pm both days, in the sports hall at the West Cambridge Sports Centre. Anyone is welcome and we will provide all the equipment necessary. Come and see us at the freshers’ fair or email email@example.com to let us know you are interested, though if you forget to do this you’re still welcome to come along.
We are a friendly club open to anyone, and will be running a beginners’ course throughout Michaelmas – more information at the taster sessions. Hope to see you soon.
Please note we charge £2 in order to cover the costs of hiring the hall.
[15/Oct/2015] Dark Waters: Security in the Black Sea Region (Panel Discussion)
When: 5.00-6.30 pm 15 October 2015
Where: Cripps Court Auditorium, Cripps Court, Magdalene College
The Cambridge Review of International Affairs is excited to announce its first event of the 2015-2016 academic year.
Over a year after the annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation, this panel seeks to explore the existing dynamic in the Black Sea region, from border security, international law, and energy security issues.
• Vice Admiral Ian Corder, UK Military Representative to NATO and the EU
• Ms. Anna Dolidze, Deputy Defence Minister, Georgia
• Dr. Slawomir Raszewski, Department of War Studies, Kings College London
• Mr. Bruce Clark, Religion and Policy Blog Editor, The Economist
Space is limited, please reserve a seat here: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/dark-water-security-in-the-black-sea-region-tickets-18776585272
[17/Oct/2015] Newnham MCR Oxford Blenheim Palace Trip
Newnham MCR have organised a trip to Blenheim Palace and Oxford for the 17th of October. Priority will be given to Newnham MCR Members but we would like to invite other MCRs to also sign up to come. If you would like to advertise this to your MCR communities, the information is below:
Newnham College MCR have organised a day trip to the stunning BLENHEIM PALACE, birth place of Sir Winston Churchill, and OXFORD city centre so you can confirm you made the right choice in coming to Cambridge.
The event is also open to non-Newnhamites (plus ones, friends, people from other colleges) at a slightly higher price, as for Newnham MCR members the price of entry and the tour around the palace is subsidized by the MCR.
The trip is a full day, leaving at 8 am on Saturday 17th from Cambridge and arriving back just before 10 pm (leaving Oxford at 19:30). For full details of the day’s itinerary and to register use the link below.
[Ongoing] UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE STUDENT NETWORK
The network provides a means for Cambridge students to tap into the extensive global network of alumni throughout their studies for: Careers advice, Mentoring, Events, Bursaries, International hospitality … and more.
Our activities include:
– Promoting the University’s pre-arrival welcome events  to new students
– Administering a Student Travel Award 
– Promoting Cambridge’s network of over 450 alumni groups  to students
– Linking student clubs/societies with their equivalent alumni groups
– Providing voluntary opportunities  for students
– Running student focus groups.
Please get in touch if you’ve anything you’d like sharing through the UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE STUDENT NETWORK.
[Sep-Nov/2015] Submission Deadline: GapSummit 2016
What are the world’s biggest challenges facing the world over the next 30 years?
How should the biotech industry Bridge the Gaps?
What will healthcare and agriculture look like in 2050?
Are you, or do you know, a Leader of Tomorrow?
I wish to introduce you to GapSummit 2016, the flagship event of Global Biotech Revolution. GapSummit is GBR’s global and inter-generational leadership summit in biotechnology. It will be next held from 4th to 6th April 2016 at the University of Cambridge UK, one of the leading biotech clusters of the world.
Applications to GapSummit and the Voices of Tomorrow competition will open on 19th September 2015 and close on 29th November, with an interim deadline of 25th October.
Since applications are likely to be competitive, early registration is advised.
Seven Reasons to Apply:
1. Be an ambassador for your country with 100 other Leaders of Tomorrow (students, researchers, professionals and entrepreneurs) from around the world.
2. Meet international Leaders of Today, including biotech CEOs, venture capitalists, policy makers and research pioneers. Confirmed speakers include:
– Dr. Peder Holk Nielsen, CEO of Novozymes
– Prof. Sir John Walker, Nobel Prize Winner
– Dr. Jeremy Levin, CEO of Ovid Therapeutics & former CEO of Teva
– Dr. Sophie Kornowski-Bonnet, Head of Roche Partnering
– Fiona Cicconi, Executive VP Human Resources, AstraZeneca
– Dr. Jim Smith, Depeuty CEO of Medical Research Council & Director of Research, Francis Crick Institute
3. Network with potential employers and discover career opportunities with the most influential companies and academic institutes, such as Roche Group, AstraZeneca, MedImmune, McKinsey, Merck Group, Potter Clarkson and PHG Foundation.
4. Identify long term career plans in line with the future trends and opportunities highlighted at the summit.
5. Gain an awareness of the “bigger picture”. Discuss the current global bioeconomy and the grand challenges to be solved by 2050.
6. Conceptualise and develop ideas to impact society now. Compete in the Voices of Tomorrow business plan competition and win seed funding and additional mentoring opportunities.
7. Meet talented peers, dine and enjoy the surroundings of one of the finest universities in the world!
GBR will cover accommodation and meals during GapSummit 2016 for all successful applicants. Limited travel awards will be available on a competitive basis.
For more information, visit www.gapsummit.com. Register your interest and be the first to receive news when applications open.
[Oct-Nov] Application Deadlines: P&G PhD Student Recruitment Opportunities
ARE YOU READY FOR A NEW CHALLENGE?
ARE YOU IN YOUR FINAL YEAR OF A PhD IN SCIENCE OR ENGINEERING?
Please find below (and attached) information about the Procter & Gamble recruitment drive for academic year 2015/2016. The closing date this year is November 15th 2015.
P&G are offering fantastic opportunities to experience the innovative world of our R&D organisation through a 4 day European R&D PhD seminar (April 17th – 21st 2016). Successful seminar applicants may also be offered full-time jobs with P&G – this is our main method of PhD recruitment.
Come along to talk to us about the opportunities available:
· Drop in Stand, Tues 13th Oct 10 am – 12.30 pm – Foyer outside large lecture theatre near the snack bar (Entrance next to the Scott Polar Institute), Chemistry Department, Lensfield Rd
· CV Clinic, Tues 13th Oct afternoon – to apply send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org apply now, latest by Sun 11th Oct
· Corporate Presentation, Tues 13th Oct 7.30 pm for 8.00 pm start – Cambridge City Hotel, Downing St
Remember application deadline is 15th Nov 2015
Apply now at: http://we.experiencepg.com/ click ‘How to apply’ à ‘Apply Now’ and search Job Number: RND00002976
[05/Oct/2015] WHOLE EARTH? Exhibition Launch
WHOLE EARTH? is based upon the premise that students and universities can help lead society towards a more sustainable future. The exhibition shows a combination of photography and pieces of writing. The idea is that whatever the sector – from engineering to fashion, from science to finance – there is a place for everyone to contribute to the debate and bring about solutions and action on these critical issues of the future. This exhibition is launching at universities across the world this autumn and we’d like you to join in the global discussion.
We are launching the exhibition with a special student run panel discussion on the 5th October at Anglia Ruskin University East Road CB1 1PT.
It will be a “question-time” style event. Guest speakers include:
– the renowned photographer behind the exhibition, Mark Edwards
– former MP and Chair of the Environmental Audit Committee, Joan Walley
– Director of the Global Sustainability Institute, Dr Aled Jones
WHOLE EARTH? Cambridge launch. 5th October 2015, 5.30pm -7pm, LAB002: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/myevent?eid=18415718911.
The Churchill MCR Gazette exists for the purpose of publicizing events to students. The MCR does not back any particular set of political or religious beliefs or lifestyle. Inclusion of events in the Gazette does not imply endorsement by the Churchill MCR.