Minutes for Churchill College MCR EGM
Date: 9th October, 7:00pm
Location: Sandy Ashmore Room
- 1 Attendance:
- 2 Agreement of Minutes:
- 3 Matters Arising from the Minutes:
- 4 Committee Updates
- 5 Matters for Discussion:
- 6 A.O.B.
- Present: 15 present + chair (Malavika) + minuting secretary (Jack)
- Apologies: Marija
- Not present:
Agreement of Minutes:
Matters Arising from the Minutes:
- Went to the first CUSU meeting of the year. No outcomes.
- Discussions with the Head Tutor, Richard Partington about the College having more control over upkeep of the MCR:
- College would like housekeeping to takeover cleaning the MCR.
- What terms do we want?
- Control over events that are hosted in the MCR.
- Overall we would like nothing to change as to our authority over the MCR.
- Case against:
- College does a bad job of fixing things in here anyway.
- E.g. We had a broken fire alarm that we notified them about and they did not fix it for months.
- This will potentially restrict the activities we are allowed to do in this room.
- College does a bad job of fixing things in here anyway.
- Treasurer: No updates.
- Secretary: No updates.
- Academic: Not here
- Bar Secretary: Buy t-shirs.
- Bar Treasurer:
- Computing : Curry Quiz tomorrow.
- Gardening day this Sunday + tour of the grounds.
- 20th of Nov. “Green Formal” with speakers to be announced.
- We have squash balls now.
- If you want new ps3 games let us know.
- External Social Secretary: Not here
- Internal Social Secretary: N.A.
- Families’ Officer: Not here.
- LGBT+: tbd
- First Year Rep: Not here.
- Welfare: Not here.
Matters for Discussion:
Instating a new MCR Committee Role: Communications and Publicity Officer.
- The Communications and Publicity Officer shall be responsible for the following duties:
- They shall be responsible for promoting the events of the MCR through the MCR’s social media outlets.
- They shall work with directly the Churchill College Communications Manager to ensure that a graduate voice is provided in all Churchill promotions to alumni, current students and prospective students.
- They shall be responsible for the organisation and leadership of a Communications subcommittee.
In favour: 13
Rewording some of our Rules and Procedures to use the gender neutral pronoun ‘they’:
201: The President:
In addition to the responsibilities outlined in the Constitution the President shall have the following duties:
(a) They shall call and convene the Committee at least once per University Term.
(b) They shall chair the Committee Meetings, TGMs and EGMs.
(c) They shall attend CUSU council meetings or appoint a representative from among the Committee to attend in their place.
(d) They shall organise the production of a term card for publication at the beginning of each term.
(e) They shall have the responsibility to recall MCR representatives from College committees, subject to a majority vote by the Committee, if in the president’s opinion the representative in question is not performing their duties satisfactorily.
(f) They shall appoint, subject to a majority vote by the Committee, an Ale and Quail Officer upon taking office.
(g) They shall appoint Members to College committees, subject to a majority Committee vote.
(h) They shall, upon election to the position of President, review all College committee positions currently filled by Members.
202: General Secretary
In addition to the responsibilities outlined in the Constitution the General Secretary shall have the following duties:
(a) They shall give reasonable notice to the membership of TGMs and EGMs.
(b) They shall give reasonable notice of Committee Meetings to the Committee.
(c) They shall be responsible for taking accurate minutes of the TGMs, EGMs and Committee Meetings and for keeping such minutes.
(d) They shall be responsible for distributing copies of the minutes of TGMs and EGMs to all the Full Members and the relevant College bodies.
(e) They shall be responsible for liaising with the graduate students’ committees from other colleges, and shall send a copy of the current MCR Committee to the graduate students secretary at all Cambridge Colleges and also CUSU and the GU.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined in the Constitution the Treasurer shall have the following duties:
(a) They shall report the state of the accounts to TGMs or EGMs at the request of the President or Chair.
(b) They shall be an ex-officio member of the Combined Common Rooms Finance Committee.
(c) They shall submit the accounts to the Senior Treasurer of the MCR for an annual audit and upon completion, in conjunction with the Senior Treasurer, certify that to the best of her/his knowledge the accounts are correct.
(d) They shall declare, within 2 weeks of having received them from the previous Treasurer, whether They is satisfied with the MCR accounts.
(e) They shall report on the financial status of the MCR at a TGM or EGM, at the request of any Full Member.
204: Academic Officer
The Academic Officer will have the following duties:
(a) They shall organise the MCR academic seminars.
(b) They shall publicise such events.
(c) They shall organise the annual Conference on Everything.
206: Bar Secretary
The Bar Secretary will have the following duties:
(a) They shall be responsible, in conjunction with the Bar Treasurer, for the general running of the bar.
(b) They shall ensure that the bar is open at least three times per week, and email the MCR details of when the bar is open.
(c) They shall draw up a rota for staffing the bar.
(d) They shall train bar staff.
(e) They shall organise ents in the bar.
207: Bar Treasurer The Bar Treasurer will have the following duties:
(a) They shall be responsible, in conjunction with the Bar Secretary, for the general running of the bar.
(b) They shall keep accounts for the bar.
(c) They shall make these accounts available to be audited once per term by the MCR Treasurer and once per annum by the MCR Senior Treasurer.
(d) They shall, in consultation with the Bar Secretary, order stock for the bar. 208: Computer Officer The Computing Officer will have the following duties:
(a) They shall maintain the MCR mailing lists.
(b) They shall maintain the MCR web pages.
(c) They shall run the MCR website.
(d) They shall administer MCR software systems, for example the parenting scheme and the rooms ballot.
209: Green Officer
The Green Officer shall be responsible for promoting environmental, ethical and sustainable issues within the MCR, looking after the Churchill Garden Society. They shall run the College recycling and food wasting collection scheme together with the Green Officer in the Junior Common Room. They shall liaise with the Green Officer in the Junior Common Room and the CUSU Environment Officer.
Essential duties of the Green Officer:
- Promote environmental, ethical and sustainable issues within the MCR.
- Manage the Churchill Garden Society and the student-run gardens behind 70 Storey’s Way by involving new (especially in Fresher’s Week) and existing members in gardening activities. Communications will be made via channels like the chu-veggie-growers mailing list and/or dedicated Facebook group page. Gardening activities must include meetings amongst the society members to discuss what to plant/sow in spring, watering rota for summer and planting-bed preparation for winter.
- Liaise with the College Head Gardener for every issue related with the Churchill Garden Society.
- Run the College recycling and food wasting collection scheme together with the Green Officer from the Junior Common Room.
- Liaise with the Green Officer from the Junior Common Room and the CUSU Environment Officer.
210: Equipment Officer
The Equipment Officer will have the following duties:
(a) They shall be responsible for the equipment belonging to the MCR.
(b) They shall, in conjunction with the rest of the Committee, organise an annual audit of all of the equipment that is the property of the MCR.
212: Families’ Representative
The Families’ Representative shall represent the views of Members with families. In the absence of an equivalent officer on the GU, they shall liaise with the GU Mature Students’ Representative.
213: First Year Representative The First Year Representative shall represent the views of those in their first year of membership of the MCR. They shall also organise the Christmas party at the end of the Michaelmas Term and the Summer BBQ at the end of Easter Term.
214: Internal Social Secretary The Internal Social Secretary will have the following duties:
(a) They shall be responsible for organising social functions for the MCR within Churchill College.
(b) They shall, at the behest of the Committee, be responsible for organising an “MCR Guest Night”
In favour: 13
Vote to install Emma Glennon as a temporary LGBT officer:
In favour: 13